Monday, October 22, 2007

The Book 'Em Experience





Book ‘Em was such a tremendous experience!

Friday morning, I visited Shelburne Middle School in Staunton, VA and walked two English classes through the process of designing a character. The kids were a delight and came up with very colorful characters. Several of them came out to see me the next day at the festival.

Friday evening we set up our booths. Craig and I arrived early to assist with the tables and chairs and got to meet some of my fellow authors. Author Alan Krugel was there with Serpico, a three-legged police dog. I got to meet my fellow panelist, 57 best-selling author, Catherine Coulter. Publisher Karen Syed from Echelon Press and one of her authors were in the booth beside me – they were both wonderful! Afterwards we went to a late dinner with several other authors, including AJ Rodriguez and 88 year-old Maxine Kleier.

Saturday was the main event!!! We arrived early and I roamed the booths for a while. Fellow author and seminar partner Denise Sutton was setting up her booth and we met Ground Zero Chaplin and author, Bob Johnson. I also met one of the ladies who set up my virtual tour, author & promoter Nikki Leigh.

Book ‘Em was founded by author p.m.terrell and Officer & author Mark Kearney. Mark’s latest book had just arrived, so he was excited! Trish (p.m.terrell), a fellow NC author and friend, was a delight as always! She was positively the most genuine & caring author there that day. If she ever tours your area, you HAVE to go meet Trish!!! She also introduced me to author Dirk Robertson from Scotland – he visits the Robeson County Library in NC and Book ‘Em every year. In addition to writing, Dirk knits scarves and hats! He was a hoot and I just LOVED the Scottish accent.

At 1pm was my class discussion on book tours. It was small and intimate, but a lot of fun! 3pm was the panel discussion on what makes a best seller. I joined publisher Karen Syed, Catherine Coulter, and author Ellen Hopkins for the panel. (Yes, which one of these does not belong?!) Karen is a very determined, bold and dynamic speaker! I probably spoke the least, but I must’ve been effective, as I had people waiting to get a book when I returned to my booth.

I learned so much, especially from Karen, who willingly gave me publishing tips and advice. I also made some new friends and Craig came away with several autographed books. He was awesome watching my booth during my talks! We’ve got some new promotional ideas and new jacket cover designs for the first three of the series. I also have several authors who want to know when Dancing Lemur Press opens for business!

Book ‘Em is such an awesome program, promoting literacy to teens and children, and I intend to participate every year from now on!

1 comment:

Nikki Leigh said...

Just dropping by to say it was great to meet you too :)

Nikki Leigh
www.nikkileigh.com