Sunday, May 24, 2009

In Memory & Honor

I've a guest author visiting tomorrow, so today's post is in honor of Memorial Day. I also wanted to do something a little different. I'd like to take this time to recognize a book and a man.


God is present at all times, even during war. Og Mandino captures this beautifully in his book "Mission: Success!" It follows a young man as he journeys overseas to fight in WWII. I won't give away any of the story, but it's a moving and wonderful tale. Please look for it next time you are in the bookstore!


I'd also like to honor my father. He did not die in the war, but he passed away when I was eleven. My father served in WWII in the Navy when he was just eighteen. He never spoke of the war, but I do have his photos and a box of insignia taken from Japanese planes.


From my father I learned patience and the power of reflective solitude. I developed my love of photography by watching him carefully plan his shots, which always resulted in the most amazing pictures. I love football, because every Sunday my father watched the games on TV, following his Oakland Raiders. I learned to create from a man who was a master carpenter and always building something incredible in his shop.

Thanks, Dad, for shaping and contributing to my life!


Remember to honor those who gave their lives for our freedom tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful tribute post. I have an uncle who is a WWII vet. The stories he told me as a boy growing up of the experiences on the front lines in battle are still vivid haunting memories. Such bravery in the face of death all around you, willing to put your life on the line to preserve the freedom of others, even while scared out of your right mind and keeping it together ... that's real courage and the highest order of valor and integrity.

The Old Silly from Free Spirit Blog

Unknown said...

Wonderful Tribute Diane! My father also served in WWII - taken out of high school to serve our country. I always thank the men and women who have protected the freedom we have and (unfortunately) sometimes take for granted. In honor and remembrance of all who have served and are serving our country - thank you.