Thursday, May 21, 2009

Mileage, Michelle Obama, & the Internet

Now, what on earth could those three things have in common?
They're all elements involved in my life this past week.

(I could've added cat barf, but that just seemed a bit much...)

Let's start with Michelle Obama and my DC gig...

Unfortunately, at the last minute, the First Lady was unable to attend. So I did not get to meet Michelle! However, check out the photo below of the program guide - I really and truly was to be the last speaker before the First Lady!!

I did meet the owner of several health food stores and she wants to stock my book in each one! And there was a snafu with our hotel room - the result? We were upgraded for free to a corner suite!!! And at the Gaylord National, that's over $500...
The hotel was pretty amazing:


Now mileage!
The DC trip racked up a lot of miles on my little SUV. Two trips over to the New Bern Literary Festival added a bit as well. (And my workshop on Friday was OVERFLOWING! Pretty sure they'll have me back to do another one next year.) And then I was on the road again to a small library in western NC. I usually put on about 25-30,000 miles a year, and 2009 will be no exception.

My husband said putting my car out of warranty as fast as possible should NOT have been one of my goals!

Now the Internet...

I've had challenges accessing my emails and the Internet, so add that to my road travels and I've been lacking online big time. We think it's just a router issue and will get a new one Thursday.

And the cat barf?
One of the many presents left for me by our cats! They also knocked a plant off the top shelf, sending dirt everywhere, and Rocko tore down every towel in the bathroom. All that in less than two day's time too...
Anybody want a pair of trouble-making black cats?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post! Love all the things tied together, the visuals, the writing. Certainly a great and productive trip for you, Diane - you must be glowing - and deserve to be. Too bad Michelle wasn't there, but hey - overall a trip to remember and one that certainly promoted your work. Sweet. :)

Hey I'm going to shout your blog out tomorrow on my "Following Friday Blogs" feature at Free Spirit.

The Old Silly from Free Spirit Blog

Nancy J. Parra said...

Thanks for the pics and the update- too bad the first lady couldn't make it. But glad you had such a lovely time!

Beth Blair said...

Hello from Minnesota! I've been wondering how it went - sorry you didn't get to meet the First Lady, that would have been amazing. It sounds like quite a success nevertheless. :)

Pyzahn said...

Wow, that's very thrilling -- even without Michelle.

I found you through Marvin. As an "under employed" marketing person, I look forward to coming back and checking out your wise words.

Carolyn Howard-Johnson said...

Seems we were both playing in two of the most amazing US cities at the same time. Just got back from New York. Still had to find time to read about cat barf. (-:
Love,
Carolyn